Give, by Zappos for Good has partnered with Spread the Word, a non-profit, that helps to inspire the minds and imaginations of children.
Give, by Zappos For Good
Let your books be read again. Donate them and let them inspire the minds of others!Get Started
- Box up your second hand books in any box and tape it closed. Up to 50 lbs per box.
- Log in and print your special prepaid shipping label.
- Attach the label and drop off your box at any UPS Store!
Give, by Zappos for Good has partnered with Spread the Word, a non-profit, that helps to inspire the minds and imaginations of children by providing second hand books to schools in need for kids to read.
See how your donation brings hope and inspiration to children
We are thrilled about our partnership with Spread the Word. We are honored to keep helping communities everywhere by sponsoring the cost of the shipping of your second hand books to Spread the Word, so they can give your gently used books a new life to inspire children, rather than having them end up in a landfill.
Why donate your new or used books through Zappos for Good?
- Sponsoring the cost of shipping of your donated books. Up to 50 lbs per box.
- Helping out the community around you.
- Keeping things out of landfills that could be needed by others.
Thank you for taking the time to help others.Get Started
Are you looking for a little more information about Zappos for Good?Learn More
- Can I get a tax receipt for my donation?
- Absolutely, but this is something that you would need to get from Spread the Word directly. It’s not a problem and you can email them at email@example.com. Be sure to include the tracking number(s) for the boxes of books that you have sent and once the tracking numbers have been received by Spread the Word, they will send you a tax receipt. Our partner at Spread the Word is actually receiving your donation and then putting it to good use for someone else.
- Does Spread the Word publish their financial statements?
- Yes. You can find them under About > Financials. They will have their most recent year published there. If you are looking for older tax returns, you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org and they would be happy to share them with you
- Why would I send my second hand books to Spread the Word, instead of just dropping them off at a local donation shop?
- We support anything that works best for you and helps others in communities around you and around the globe. Our team partnered with Spread the Word because we have similar company and culture values of helping the community as much as we can, and being very transparent. At Zappos for Good, we want to offer our customer community an easy way to donate things that might otherwise just sit around, so we have tried to make this as easy for you as possible because you can now put those boxes you receive from Zappos deliveries, or anyone else, to good use and give them a second life to deliver books. It means you just have to drop them off at the same UPS Store you have likely used to drop off at least one return!
- I prefer to help people domestically, is Give going to help with that?
- Give, by Zappos for Good, in partnership with Spread the Word relies on the expertise of the team at Spread the Word to decide which areas and schools can use books the most. At this time, all of their donations are distributed within the USA, because they feel there is still a lot of impact needed here at home.
How the Program Works
- I always call Zappos for my orders. Can I make my donation of second hand books over the phone?
- As always, our Customer Loyalty Team are here to help! If you need any assistance in where to go on the website, please give us a call at 877-927-2332 and our team member will walk through it with you on the phone. Because this a donation to a registered non-profit organization [IRS 501(c)(3)] that Zappos is just helping to facilitate, we really need your help to register and print the shipping label out, just in case you decided you wanted to a tax receipt for your donation.
- Can I donate to Give, by Zappos for Good if I live outside of the United States?
- Regrettably, our pre-paid labels do not cover the price for international donations. To use our pre-paid labels, donations must be sent from the United States. But we are continuously looking for other partnerships to help those in need on a global level.
- I live in a rural area. Can I donate using USPS for my donation box?
- Unfortunately, UPS is the only option at this time. UPS provides for easy, fast and secure shipping and package tracking of your donation to ensure it gets to those in need as quickly as possible.
- I live in a rural area. Can UPS pick up my donation box?
- Our pre-paid shipping labels only support dropping off your donation at a UPS Store or depot. But there is no time limit, so you can always save your donations up for a time when you may be near a UPS outlet.
- I don't live in the continental United States (ex. Hawaii); can I still donate?
- Unfortunately, our shipping agreement with UPS for this program only allows for ground shipping at this time.
- Zappos for Good has partnerships with Spread the Word and other charities too. Can I put all of my items in the same box for donations for all charities?
- We would ask you to print out a label for each type of donation which you are making. This donation page is about donating second hand books, and you may notice on the shipping label you print that your donation will go directly to Spread the Word. We understand it’s a little bit more work for you to print out a label for each different type of product donation you are making, but we at Zappos for Good are going to cover the shipping for all boxes sent to make sure your donations make it to the right people who can help the most with what is inside the box
- How many donations can I make through ZapposForGood.org?
- You can make as many donations as you want. The more the merrier! We will be covering the shipping for as many donations as you want to make.
- Do I have to be a Zappos.com customer already to donate through this program?
- If you have never been a Zappos.com customer before, that’s no problem! During the process, you will be asked to create an account or log in with your Amazon.com account if you have one.
- What types of goods can I donate through this program?
Spread the Word is happy to accept second hand books of all shapes and sizes, and for all age groups. They have an extra special need for books which are intended for young people from age 3 – 12, but they will put all second hand books to good use.
The following types of books are those which Spread the Word would ask for you to avoid sending to them, although they will re-donate them if they happen to receive any:
- Books which contain offensive language or topics
- Religious materials which are specifically for the purpose of the promoting a religion or the beliefs of a religion
- Pornographic materials
- Books which use profanity
- Do I need to put a book cover onto each book that I send?
- This is a very kind thought, but we would ask that you remove book covers altogether, because each book will be inspected and sorted by the team at Spread the Word to determine what type of audience can gain the most benefit from the book, and then distribute the books accordingly. Having books without book covers which schools often require children to put on, makes it easier for the team at Spread the Word to sort through the books to get them to the best people.
- Can I use a Zappos box to send my donation to Spread the Word?
- You can use any box at all, and we’d be delighted if it was a Zappos box! Just make sure you cover or remove the old Zappos shipping label before putting on the new one. Don’t forget to tape up the box and affix the special prepaid shipping label before going to the UPS Store. And thank you for your help in reducing and reusing even before recycling wherever we can, so reusing a box we sent you is something we support fully!
- What happens to the product that I donate and how can I be sure it’s really going to those in need?
- Zappos for Good took time to make sure our donation partner values direct donation. Instead of selling the books and then donating a portion of the proceeds to those in need, Spread the Word donates the books, exactly as you sent them to help people of all ages be inspired through reading! We would also encourage you to download their Financial Statements under About > Financials so you can see where they spend their money, which is done as financial donations, to reinforce their credibility as a partner
- The shipping label I printed from the website says "2 LBS". Does that mean that I need to use multiple boxes and not exceed 2 LBS in any box?
- The short answer is No. All this means is that 2 LBS is the minimum weight that UPS will charge Zappos for Good for shipping your donation; so if your package only weighs 1 LB, Zappos will be charged as though it weighs 2 LBS. You can (and should) fill your box of donated items to approximately 50 LBS when possible before using an additional box. UPS will weigh each package at the time of shipping and charge Zappos for Good the appropriate amount.
- Can I email the shipping label to myself?
- Unfortunately, not at this time. We are working on building that functionality right now and it should be available in the next month.
- How is donating shoes helping and not hurting the environment because they are shipped somewhere?
All shipments, whether from you to Spread The Word or from Spread the Word out to the hands of those in need is done with ground based shipping (over land and sea): this results in lower carbon emissions than faster flight based transportation methods.
But we took it a step further and looked to the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Waste Reduction Model (WARM), v.14 to look at whether or not giving books a second life and keeping them out of landfills for longer has a positive or negative. With regards to both Metric Tons of Carbon Emissions Equivalent (MTCO2E) and energy consumption measured in British Thermal Units (BTU), we are having a net positive impact on the environment for each metric ton of product donated.
So the more donations we have, the more net positive impact we are delivering according to the WARM model. You can donate AND to be more green!